Friday, January 23, 2015

Ultra Balance

     Ultra fun? ultra regret? sometimes the balance between ultra running and trying to be an ultra father can be an ultra pain in the ass. The two things I love most in life are being a father and ultra running, they both bring me so much joy and I want to be the best at both that I can be. But you cant always have the best of both worlds, as my dad often sang to me "you cant always get what you want...". When it comes down to choosing between the two of course I put my family first. But is there a good way to have the best of both worlds, is there a good way to strike an ultra balance? I think so and although I am still working on getting that balance right I feel like I'm getting better at this trapeze balancing act called life.


      When getting in the large amount of mile required to train for a ultra event it is key to find time to run when it will have least effect on quality family time. First approach; two a days can really end up being a familiar friend, I often squeeze in two a days toward the beginning of my week because I don't have hours of free time to do long runs every day. Two a days while not as affective as long runs do a great job of training your legs to run through fatigue/tiredness required when training for an ultra event. I usually try a split my two a days into distinct workouts, for example I will run a speed session (treadmill or road) during the first run and then a hill workout (treadmill or trail) during my second run, these of course can be interchangeable. This not only breaks up the boredom associated with doing the same workout over and over again, but also helps train different muscle groups and strengths used in ultra running. I am lucky enough to have a job that grants me some flexibility in my lunch hours so I usually aim to run 45mins to an hour everyday at lunch, often at the gym (so I can take a shower afterwards) and sometimes on the roads (I can come back and change while applying liberal amounts of spray deodorant = hippy shower).
      Second approach; weekend longs runs are a staple in every ultra runners diet, weekend long runs are by far my favorite drug and is what got me to love running so much. I almost exclusively do my long runs out on the trails unless weather or injury decides otherwise. I accomplish my weekend long runs using a few different avenues; the first of which is waking up super early to get in the hours before the rest of the household wakes up. The second of which is waking up early every morning during the weekdays to get the kids ready for school, in return the spousal unit has agreed to let my have my weekend long runs. Sleeping in is a thing of the past!


      Another approach to balancing family and running, one I've only been partially successful with, is to include my family in with my running. Get your children to run at an early age, do they have a fun run available at your next running event? a 5K? The key is not to force running upon my family, running shouldn't be seen as a chore, its should be something they enjoy. My wife Desirae sometimes likes to run half marathons and go on hikes with me, so its definitely a bonus for my training getting her involved. My son CJ is big into sports and is really good at some of them but doesn't like to run as much as I had hoped he would, my other son Connor is in a wheelchair making it a little difficult for him to run. My family is very supportive of my running regardless and makes it to the finish line of almost all my races, they really are the best crew I could ask for. Hopefully with time CJ will gather more interest in running but until then I enjoy watching his love for playing sports. Another one of my goals this year is to push Connor in a wheelchair through a marathon/half marathon.


       That's pretty much the summary of how I get in runs without sacrificing quality family time, my ultra balance. I'm sure other runners have different approaches to the ultra balance, whatever works for them. The key is to put my family first, when all is said and done running is just a hobby for most us mortals, but family is my life, my job and my main source of happiness. There are many times I have had my running regimen put on halt/revised in the name of being a father and I'm okay with that. I just keep in mind there is always another day to run, another day to train and skipping a day or ten of running will not derail your success at an ultra race. No long run for me this weekend, I'm off to go enjoy my family before spending a week in Florida, till then a beer to celebrate and a trail to run..


No comments:

Post a Comment